Finding the best litter for rabbits can be a difficult task. This is especially true for first-time bunny owners who aren’t sure what they’re looking for! This article rounds-up some of the best litters for rabbits on the market and later on, we tap into some of Dr. Beth Arnold’s knowledge to assess what you should look for in a rabbit litter.
- 1 The Best Litter For Rabbits
- 2 So Phresh Paper Pellet Small Animal Litter
- 3 Carefresh Custom Rabbit Pet Bedding
- 4 Fresh News Paper Small Animal Litter
- 5 Oxbow Ecostraw Bedding for Pets
- 6 Kaytee Wood Pellets for Pet
- 7 Kaytee Small Animal Potty Training Litter
- 8 What Makes The Best Litter For Rabbits?
- 9 Rabbitspots recommended properties
- 10 Final Thoughts On Litter For Rabbits
|So Phresh Paper Pellet||10, 20 lbs||Check on Amazon|
|Carefresh Custom Rabbit||23, 30, 50, 60 Litre||Check on Amazon|
|Fresh News Small Animal Litter||10 Litre||Check on Amazon|
The Best Litter For Rabbits
Rabbit litter is one of the most important things you can buy as a house rabbit owner. This is because it keeps your rabbits environment fresh and clean. Rabbit litter can be used inside a rabbit litter box or even as bedding for nesting with.
When finding a great rabbit litter you’ll need to choose carefully. You’ll want to find something with a high level of absorbency low levels of dust and something that’s safe for your rabbit. Some rabbit litters can absorb up to 3x their own mass.
Below is a list of the 6 best litters for rabbits on the market which will keep your bunny fresh and clean.
So Phresh Paper Pellet Small Animal Litter
The safety is a good feature of this as it’s deemed safe for use in all small animal habitats. Its a top quality litter for effectively controlling your rabbit’s odors. It’s biodegradable and ticks the box for being environmentally friendly. In today’s modern climate we feel as a consumer it’s important to consider products that are planet friendly.
These lock in moisture and is made from 100% recycled paper. Which won’t break into bits when it becomes moist. This means no mess when it comes to cleaning up your rabbits’ litter.
Carefresh Custom Rabbit Pet Bedding
Something that really impresses us when it comes to this product is the amount of time it stays fresh. It can control odors for up to 10 days! This means your rabbits’ litter box will stray fresher for much longer. It’s got a really high level of absorbency as well. This product is 3x as absorbent as shaving based rabbit litter. This means when it comes to holding moisture this product is one of the best.
It’s heavily dust-free as well which is always an added bonus. In fact, it’s 99% dust-free! This means that when it comes to cleaning up your rabbits’ litter box you won’t have any dust to clean up. The soft pieces are also 25% bigger. This is great for those of you that will use this with the purpose of your rabbit nesting with it.
Fresh News Paper Small Animal Litter
We’re really impressed by this litter and how quickly it eliminates odors. This comes in impressive volume as well by almost twice as much in comparison to clay-based litters. The great thing about this litter is that it’s made from recycled paper. This can be composted or incinerated safely and is also biodegradable.
This litter also has great absorbency and its more absorbent than both wood and clay-based litters. This is obviously one of the most important factors of rabbit litter so it’s great it performs well in this area. This is safe and effective not only for rabbits but also for ferrets and other kinds of small animals.
Oxbow Ecostraw Bedding for Pets
This product is made from straw pelleted wheat. This is an ideal choice due to the safety of the product. After all, it’s always important to consider the safety of your pet before introducing it to a new product. The technology used by this litter allows the wheat straw to be compressed into a pellet that is twice as absorbent as newspaper-based litter. This means that it’s able to absorb up to 300% of its weight in liquids.
Another great feature of this product is that it’s dust-free. This means that when it comes to cleaning out your rabbit litter box the process will be much less messy than using a product which isn’t dust-free.
Kaytee Wood Pellets for Pet
What we love about this product is that it’s 100% natural wood-based in is recommended for all different small pets and even birds! This is great for pet owners with multiple small animals or birds. These expand to hold the maximum possible moisture allowing them to control odor. This leaves your pet for a more comfortable and fresh environment.
When it’s time to get rid of the pellets, they don’t stick to the litter box so will be nice and easy for you to remove. This makes cleaning the litter box a hassle-free process. The product is specially manufactured in order to remove dust and wood debris found.
Kaytee Small Animal Potty Training Litter
The great thing about this is the natural aspect of the litter. It’s non-toxic 100% bentonite and all-natural minerals make it nice and safe for your bun to be using. This is hugely absorbent and we don’t use the word hugely lightly in this instance. It can absorb up to ten times is weight in water, impressive huh? This helps control the pet waste odor.
The manufacturer states that this product can reduce cage cleaning by 30% or more. This will obviously make a massive impact when it comes to pet care over the long run. If you’re an avid pet lover this is suitable for other small animals including ferrets as well so can be used for your other pets if you have any.
What Makes The Best Litter For Rabbits?
So what is it that makes a great rabbit litter? This next section explores exactly that. We called on the Expertise of Dr. Beth Arnold, to find out what’s important when it comes to rabbit litter:
“There are lots of things that we need to take into consideration when purchasing a litter for our bunnies. On the human side of things, saftey, expense, ease of clean up and availability are the first things that come to mind”. She went on to say “On the side of the rabbit – attraction would be number one, right! There are several litters out there and it isn’t one size fits all. However, in my journey as a rabbit vet and rabbit owner, you have to consider all the options and make the best choice for you and your bun. That said, there are a few tried and true rules we should follow when making our choice.” Dr. Arnolds rules are as follows:
1) No cedar or pine shavings due to toxins
2) No clumping or scented cat litters due to possibility of gi impactions
3) Bunnies are more likely to eat corn cob or wheat based litters
She went on to state “people argue the differences and benefits of all available litters.. just know potential problems and be aware of them when choosing. Overall, the recommendation is some type of absorbent material in the box and a hay to attract bun to jump in and enjoy the box.”
Dr. Arnold went on to give her personal preference “If I had to choose, I would use newspaper as a liner and add recycled cardboard- ie carefresh pet bedding with hay on top on one side.”
Rabbitspots recommended properties
Based on our own research, experience with rabbits and the expertise from Dr. Arnold we formulated some properties that we look for in rabbit litter. We’ve listed a few of these below for your reference:
- The best quality rabbit litters are very absorbent.
- It’s not uncommon for a great rabbit litter to hold up to 3 times its own weight in moisture.
- The advantage to this is that it stays fresher for longer.
- This means that you won’t need to change it as frequently as a non-absorbent rabbit litter.
- We’re all about looking after the planet we live on. This is why we recommend using a rabbit litter that’s eco-friendly.
- Look for something made from recycled paper (never printed on if possible). Look for features such as non-toxic and biodegradable.
- Your rabbit needs to find the litter comfortable.
- If your rabbit has any reaction to the new litter or its evident somethings wrong, your rabbit might find it uncomfortable.
- Make sure you gauge your rabbit’s initial reactions carefully to establish its comfort levels.
- Find something with a low level of dust.
- It’s not uncommon to find rabbit litters that are up to 99% dust-free.
- This will make your life so much easier when its time to clean the rabbit litter box out.
- It’s also much better for your rabbit to be in an environment without unnecessary dust.
- Finding a product that controls odor is of vital importance when looking for rabbit litter.
- This is down to the fact that a litter that controls foul odor will help your house and rabbits environment to stay fresh.
- You don’t have to be that person with the house that smells of rabbit urine.
Final Thoughts On Litter For Rabbits
Finding a great rabbit litter can make life much better for both you and your bunny. It’s not always easy to find the perfect product but following the guidelines in this article will mean you won’t be far off.
Remember to look for something dust free, highly absorbent and eco-friendly. If you choose to purchase any of the rabbit litters in this article chances are you’ll end up with a great product.
This post was contributed to by Dr. Beth Arnold, a vet at Crossroads Animal Hospital . She has had a myriad of animals including various rabbits, a 7 member chinchilla herd, cats, dogs, birds, mice and chickens. Learn more about her and how she's helped with our content on our about page.